AMD released a new Crimson 16.5.2 driver for Doom and Crossfire profile for Battleborn. Apart from support for the newer games, the Crimson driver fixes an issue of the previous driver which may not save the frame rate target which is set manually. But AMD also pointed out that even with the 16.5.2 driver, certain games may fail to save the frame rate target control.
AMD also identified certain other issues with the 16.5.2 that users can take note of. Three of which flickering issues. For example, a flickering problem with Fallout 4 and Witcher 3: Wild Hunt’s inventory and character pages in Crossfire setups followed by issues with Forza Motorsport 6: Apex when using with AMD FreeSync panels.
For desktop users, the following AMD Radeon family can use this driver:
|AMD Desktop Product Family Compatibility|
|AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo||AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 8500 – HD 8900 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 – HD 7900 Series Graphics|
For notebook users, the following mobility Radeon family can use this driver:
|AMD Mobility Product Family Compatibility|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 M300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R7 M200 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R7 M300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R5 M300 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 8500M – HD 8900M Series Graphics|
|AMD Radeon™ R9 M200 Series Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 7700M – HD 7900M Series Graphics|
The 16.5.2 Crimson driver supports the following operating system:
- Windows® 10 (32 & 64-bit version)
- Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit version)
- Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)
Note that newer DX12 games including DOOM can work only on DX12 Windows 10.
The patch notes are as follows:
Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2 Highlights
- Support for:
- New AMD Crossfire profile available for:
- Radeon Settings may sometimes suggest upgrading to an older driver revision when using the new driver notification feature.
- Frame Rate Target Control may not keep the user’s previous settings when disabled.
- The option to enable/disable AMD Crossfire™ technology logo may be missing on some system configurations from the” Gaming, Global Options” tab in Radeon Settings.
- Radeon Settings game manager does not display icons for Origin Games.
- Radeon Settings launch with Eyefinity profiles may sometimes not take effect after system has been rebooted for profiled games.
- Some characters or game areas are rendered very dark in Hitman™ using AMD Crossfire technology mode.
- Restore factory defaults may occasionally not work for the “Display” tab in Radeon Settings.
- The power efficiency toggle in Radeon Settings may be available to some unsupported system configurations.
- The text in Radeon Settings drop down menus may sometimes get cut off when in windowed mode with some Windows DPI scaling settings.
- League of Legends users may experience minor graphical corruption when using AMD Crossfire technology mode.
- Star Wars™: Battlefront users may see corrupted ground textures in the Survival of Hoth mission.
- A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved “In-Game Overlay”.
- Users in Quad AMD Crossfire technology configurations may be unable to re-enable AMD Crossfire mode when using the global AMD Crossfire option in the “Gaming” tab and toggling it from on to off.
- The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt inventory and character pages may exhibit flickering in AMD Crossfire technology mode.
- Call of Duty™: Advanced Warfare may exhibit stuttering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology and AMD Crossfire technology in conjunction.
- Installing Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2 multiple times on the same machine after rebooting may cause the installer to hang.
- The AMD Crossfire mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
- Radeon Settings Additional Settings page may not be available when upgrading to Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2 from the current windows update driver. As a workaround please clean uninstall all current Radeon Software when upgrading if your system exhibits this issue.
- Some textures may exhibit flickering in Fallout™ 4 when using AMD Crossfire technology.
- Forza Motorsport 6: Apex™ may exhibit brightness flickering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology.
- Frame Rate Target Control gaming profiles may fail to enable for some games.
The 16.5.2 driver can be installed from here.
— Hardware BBQ (@HardwareBBQ) May 13, 2016