Looks like everyone seems to be getting the tablet business as fast and as attractive/aggressive as possible ever since the Galaxy Tab success. Apple has recently decided to launch their iPad today in India, but they are not alone as MSI India sent me a press release recently.
Light tablet with extended battery life – ideal for communication and entertainment, to be available in and exclusive retail distribution arrangement with eZone
MUMBAI, January 28, 2011: Micro Star International (MSI) the leading laptop manufacturer has forayed into the Tablet computer market, with the announcement of its first offering in the segment. The WindPad 100W Tablet PC features the Intel mobile platform processor, 10.1-inch multipoint touch screen as well as cutting-edge hardware, like dual video cameras, a G-Sensor gravity detecting device, and an ALS light sensor. It is rated to provide more than six hours of battery time – more than any other tablet computer with Windows-Intel architecture.
With external dimensions of 274x173x18.5 mm, it still packs in a complete array of I/O ports, including an SD card reader, USB 2.0 slots, and a mini HDMI port, so that the MSI WindPad 100W can meet your entertainment needs like any conventional computer. Weighing just 800g, it’s the ideal mobile data center for today’s on-the-go generation. MSI’s WindPad 100W offers advanced hardware devices like screen rotate, light sensor detect, G-sensor, dual cameras with the front camera capturing videos and photos so that the user stays connected either for fun or business and the rear camera capturing pictures and videos for conference meetings and editing etc.
The MSI WindPad 100W will be available in India exclusively at over 12 e-Zone outlets across Mumbai for the initial launch. “With MSI becoming an increasingly popular consumer brand, we believe it would be of tremendous value to customers to be able to offer new WindPad tablet at convenient retail locations of eZone,” said Eric Kuo, MSI India head, General Manager. “We are continually exploring new ways to delight our customers. With e-Zone, the MSI brand comes yet closer to the end-consumer.”
Manoj Kumar CEO – Consumer Durable & Electronics, Future Group said, “MSI has launched the first Tablet with Microsoft Windows Exclusively at e Zone & we are sure that consumer will like it. We have seen great amount of consumer response towards MSI Tablet in last 1 week. In e Zone we are showcasing the complete tablet range”
Complete and Unique Application Support
· WindTouch UI: MSI did away with the standard traditional operating system interface. From in-depth studies on the tablet touch-control experience of consumers, MSI designed its own unique WindTouch user interface with four major functions—work, entertainment, tools, and network. It integrates a number of frequently used applications, like MSI’s own EasyViewer photo management software; a multimedia player that can be used for MSN, Skype, and IE; Windows Multimedia Center; and a web phone.
· EasyFace: is MSI’s exclusive face recognition software which works in conjunction with the internal 1.3 megapixel high resolution webcam, using biometric technology to provide impregnable data security. MSI’s Easy Face integrates MSN, website login passwords, and systems login passwords to provide a high level of data security.
· Taskbar magnifier: To enhance the user experience, MSI developed a unique status/taskbar magnifier to make controlling the Windows 7 OS’ various functions with your finger easier. Touching the Windows 7 taskbar at the bottom right hand side of the screen turns on the MSI taskbar magnifier.
· Easy Viewer photo management software: helps zoom in/out and rotate photos by simply touching or sliding your finger on the screen, making it easy to share photos with friends and family.
· Pre-loaded Utilities: Microsoft Office Starter 2010 that includes Office Word 2010 and Office Excel 2010 for tablets, is pre-loaded, so you can do office work on the WindPad 100W anytime, anywhere. The WindPad 100W also comes with Adobe Reader, the Adobe Flash Player multimedia player, so you can enjoy a richer multimedia experience.
· Powerful hardware and extended battery life: The MSI WindPad 100W features the low-power Intel mobile platform processor, 2GB DDRII of memory and 802.11 b/g/n wireless. The G-Sensor gravity detecting device rotates the images automatically according to the position in which the device is held further enriching and enhancing the user’s experience. With a 32GB HDD and ALS light sensor, it boasts six-plus hours of battery time.
· Dual video cameras: The WindPad 100W has two camera lenses – one at the front and one behind. Used in coordination with mobile telecommunications software, the one above the screen allows you to chat over the Internet with friends and family. The high resolution camera on the back of the tablet lets you take pictures and videos whenever you find shots you want to capture.
The WindPad 100W is available at Rs.34,990. Not really sure if keeping exclusive with e-zone is a wise choice as I’ve seen Samsung Tablets been sold/showcased almost all well-known retail outlets. Personally, wouldn’t be surprised if they end up through any retail chain eventually.