Valve’s Steam controllers are considered to be the best controllers you can get for the PC. If Valve mapped the controllers for (at the very least) its listed games rather than relying on crowd-sourcing, things would have looked encouraging. Alas, many years have passed and with options such as the Xbox wired and wireless controllers, nothing changed. This resulted in Steam controllers stockpiled somewhere into oblivion.
Sold-out Book at Steam’s Autumn Sale
A week ago, Steam confirmed that its controller will be officially discontinued. This prompted the company to get rid of the stocks via a hefty sale price of US $5 via its Autumn sale. This naturally leads to overbookings which lead to refund notifications via email. Valve also confirmed that they have finally ended the last manufactured batch of these controllers. It goes without saying Valve is selling these at a loss. If you bought or own one of these, keep on a lookout for any remapping groups in Reddit.
- Dual trackpads
- HD haptics
- Analog stick
- Dual-stage triggers, each with 10° of travel, a magnetic flux sensor, and a tactile switch
- Gyroscope and accelerometer sensors enabling tilt-to-steer racing wheel functionality and other motion-controlled input
- Configurable controls
- Local multiplayer capability, as supported by games
- Wired or wireless (dual mode)
- USB 2.0 via Micro USB port (cable included)
- Estimated 5 meters of wireless communications range. Actual results may vary.
- Provides up to 80 hours of standard gameplay using the included AA batteries during preliminary testing. Battery life will vary based on usage and other factors, such as the type of batteries used.
- Steam Controller
- 2 AA batteries
- USB wireless pairing dongle
- Dongle extension dock included
Valve’s original plan…
Originally, Steam controllers and the much-fabled Steam machines were destined to be sold and shipped together. Nothing really happened. While there was a decent number of controller adoptions during its initial release, the popularity died. What made this controller a very attractive peripheral are features such as pinpoint tracking via its trackpads. The Steam controller also allowed full key mapping. The launch price was set for $50.
Valve’s showing its bad luck with hardware?
It was never known why Valve never pushed Steam Machines- or even maintaining/ encouraging Steam Controllers. One thing for certain, Steam doesn’t seem to be good with hardware and peripherals. Its such a shame considering many vouched for this controller to be one of the best they have used once they got used to it.
PC Controller variants
Meanwhile, you can buy Xbox wired/wireless controllers for PC. There are other manufacturers such as EasySMX, Logitech and Thrustmaster. Even AMAZONBasics controllers are listed.
— Hardware BBQ (@HardwareBBQ) December 4, 2019